There is an aged Spanish proverb that claims that “the belly rules the mind”. Ignoring the context my father once told me this (as he was serving himself a second plate of enchiladas), I really do believe the Spaniards might have hit this one right on the nail. Food really is an essential connection to one of our most receptive senses, taste, which greatly influences the mind. This connection really is able to intertwine itself throughout our world with no discrimination to race or culture. I know that personally I love food and this in itself is really a severe understatement. Eating, cooking, and even gazing lovingly at food are all pleasurable activities for me. They became even more exciting though once I became vegan. Arranging new meals and deciding which flavors complemented one other (where garlic complements EVERYTHING!) has become a hobby for me; one that I will never let go. Personally though, I feel that this appreciation of food has not been completely analyzed.
With so many different individuals on our Earth, which cultures and which people developed names for certain techniques of cooking food; names for certain types of food; names for discussing food in general? My curiosity in these topics is the primary reason for my participation in this class. To the best of my ability, this outlet will be a spewing of random thought concerning the relationship that exists between language and food past, present, and future. Food really is inherently a subject to be contemplated rather than a mindless object of sustenance; and through this blog, I hope I can communicate how one Stanford Cardinal has formed her own interpretations of food. Oh, and by the way, my name is Mónica.
No comments:
Post a Comment